Monday, July 14, 2008

Oven cleaning - not recommended with food

This evening I decided to make a nice strawberry cobbler. I put it in the oven for 40 minutes just like the recipe said.

Once that was done, I decided to put it on broil for a couple of minutes to make the granola crunchy on top.

Unfortunately, I came back to the kitchen and saw smoke coming out of the oven. I grabbed the door.... LOCKED!!

I had accidentally set it to "Oven self clean" ! Even if I turned it off, the oven was going to stay locked until it was cool enough for safety reasons, meaning my poor cobbler was about to die! I freaked out, calmly of course. I pulled the oven out, and unplugged it. Just in case.

When I plugged it in again, I heard a click meaning the door was unlocked. I slowly opened the door... expecting a shattered dish.... this is what I found:



Do you think Bill will notice it is a bit overcrisp?

3 comments:

Edward said...

Aww that is so awful! Bill might not notice though lol! Better luck next time. Did you at least get a good laugh when it was all said and one?

Anonymous said...

i was thankful it wasn`t a raspberry cobbler... i would have felt horrible wasting precious raspberries! LOL but strawberries...
i am just glad the dish didn't shatter in the extreme heat! i would have freaked out!

Anonymous said...

How frustrating! If it makes you feel any better, I had company on Tuesday and was distracted by conversation and burnt the snot out of our tomato and garlic bread. I don't mean a teensy bit on the edge. I mean flat out smoke pouring from the oven burnt.
I coauthor Home Ec 101.
I'm proof that we all have our moments. :)
My acquaintance and I laughed and laughed and she admitted to feeling much better about her own kitchen endeavors.