Monday, July 7, 2008

Menu Plan Monday


Wow! I have skipped my menu planning for a few weeks now... and it shows. It seemed that since I started a new workplace at the end of May, I was rather overwhelmed and the task of making a menu plan was way beyond what I could handle! and I know our grocery budget went out the window. I missed menu planning this whole time, so I thought I'd better hop back on the boat.

Our weather has been really gorgeous this past week, and so heating up an oven has really not been motivating. We are blessed with air conditioning, but I still don't want to heat up the house just to cool it down afterwards. So I will try and keep it simple.

One other thing... we have been having spontaneous, last minute pic nics. Therefore, I would like to plan around that possibility. Which means more portable stuff that does not necessarily need to be warmed up if we go out or something that can be eaten outside in the yard.

Monday: Chinese Macaroni (from The Best of Mincavie - recipe below)- we can even eat this cold

Tuesday:: Apple meatballs (in slow cooker) - this can also be eaten warm or in a sub or tortilla. I LOVE this recipe! (also from The Best of Mincavie -see below)

Wednesday: Orzo salad - Maelie LOVES Orzo. I will leave it plain for her and put veggies on the side, whereas for myself & Bill, I will add a bunch of veggies and some kind of dressing or mayo.

Thursday: Grilled PB sandwiches (My friend Jacinthe tried this with her kids and they loved it. So I will see if Maelie will like it too. It's basically like a grilled cheese but with PB instead - she added jam, but I don't think Maelie would like too much *mixing* - add fruit on the side.

Friday: Eggs & salad & veggies (Perhaps egg salad sandwich for Bill and I. Maelie likes her eggs plain)

For many many more menu plans.... visit Org Junkie !

_____________

Chinese Noodles

1 sliced onion
1 lb ground beef or veal (I use ground chicken)
1 diced celery stick
1 diced carrot
2 Tbsp soya sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 green pepper cut in strips
1 red pepper cut in strips
2 cups sliced mushrooms (I will use canned this time)
2 cups cooked macaroni

Brown onion, add meat, celery and carrots. Break up meat and cook completely. Add the rest of the ingredients except for macaroni. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Mix in the cooked macaroni.

Apple Meatballs

1.5 lb lean ground beef (I use ground chicken)
1 egg
1/2 cup oats
1 chopped onion
salt & pepper to taste

Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
1/4 brown sugar substitute (I just use brown sugar)
1 Tbsp soya sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice

Mix meatballs ingredients and make into 24 meatballs. Place baking dish (I'll put it in slow cooker). Mix the sauce ingredients together and pour over meatballs. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. (i will put in slow cooker in the morning for 8 hours on low)

I have only tried it in the oven and they were DELICIOUS.

4 comments:

Edward said...

Jenn, just wanted to say you have been so consistant with your Menu Mondays! Congrats and I'm glad that it's working for you.

B. said...

I love the crockpot and those meatballs look very tasty!

Marcy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! Your menu looks great this week...lots of new to me dinners that I would like to try. Have a great week! :-)

Anonymous said...

Spontaneous picnics sound like a lot of fun. :) Those apple meatballs sound great. I'll have to give them a try.