Friday, June 22, 2007

Reality hits - Kindergarten

How did she get from this:


to this:



In such little time?

I have been preparing Maelie for Kindergarten for months now. I like discussing it with her, reading books about Kindergarten, and we even visited the classroom and the kids one day. But it seems that it was always so far away. Today is the last day of school for all kids out here. This is hitting me harder than I thought! It means one last summer before I send my baby girl off to the real world. It's making this mama rather emotional! I always loved kids and if the moon had beeen aligned with a certain star, I would have been the kindergarten teacher myself! i guess i took the easy way out and ended up a government employee. haha

When I talk to Maelie about Kindergarten, I am very strong and secure and I do not let her in AT ALL on the fact that inside I am scared and nervous! Don't get me wrong, I am very excited for her to finally be off to school. But I always have the questions in my mind. What is she is scared ? What if she picks up horrible habits? What if her self confidence is shot down ? What is she gets hurt, physically or emotionally? What if she gets lost ? What if she needs her mama and I am not there?

Well this is life. We have all been through it, and we all came out stonger. We can't overprotect our kids all their lives. We have to let them grow up and learn how to be themselves and be part of a bigger world where you just have to make an effort sometimes.

I will definitely need a week off just to cry in September! :)
Shannon, I know you understand! Maybe we can get together and cry when Chase and Maelie head off to the real world!

But in the meantime, let's just enjoy the next 2 months !

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Jenn I cried just reading what you wrote and I was going to blog the same!!!! It is all so true. Chase and I and the kids are such a big part of the school here right now. We still go to the family centre and they had a prekindergarten for all the new kindergartners once a week. But still...I feel unsettled. We are at the school playground all the time and at recess and I see the kindergarten kids out playing without any supervision...and I get scared. I still stand by Chase until he gets to the top of the monkey bars to make sure he is safe...actually just today he did the zipper at the school (do you remember which one) all by himself...that has been 4 years in the making he has been trying to do that one on his own and today was the day! I feel like I need to trust...but I dont yet and I know it is within myself...but I am not confident or ready I guess. Of course I do not pass that onto Chase. He has been doing nursery school and just graduated yesterday and I cried when I said good bye to his teacher because I was so grateful that she was so caring, for me it was such an emotional thing for me and a huge step for chase and just that she took the extra time to do things with chase...it was sad for me. But it was sad I think because it means that something bigger is coming! Nevertheless...we will have to chate as the time gets closer, here they have a staggered entry for the first week, chase only goes an hour a day...which i like. But I am so afraid for his self confidence and that someone or something will hurt him. Even now at the park, I can see the influence that kids pass on to each other and to me that is what scares me the most. But it is how we teach our children in hopes they will remember. Anyways...I share your feelings a 110 percent!!!!!