Sunday, September 7, 2008

fun on the farm

Today was an open house for farms in Quebec. We visited the farm Saveurs des monts. Apparently they have great chicken and turkey that have never received any antibiotics.



We stopped by a chicken farm and Maelie got to pet the baby chicks. Apparently after a day like today, most of these little chicks will die from a heart attack! After seeing the way some parents let their kids handle the chicks, I can see why.



We went on a tractor tour of the farm. The guide explained to us that the bigger chickens were actually on their way out tomorrow to be killed. Maelie was rather upset, and she asked me why people don't just stop eating chickens and start eating lions instead. I guess to her it would be more acceptable to kill lions.

After visiting that farm, we dropped by this place:



I had never actually seen alpacas. I must admit, I never laughed so hard at a farm before. These dudes have the absolute coolest hair! I felt like I was in a video clip from the 80's!





When they looked at us, all you could see was the hair and the bucked teeth. I fell in love with these creatures!



The lady who breeds them told me that they raise these guys for their wool and for shows. I can see why!!



What a hoot we had!

No comments: